Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Woo - a whole paragraph!

I'm not sure I can really call this a 'story' because it's only 75 words long and contained in a single paragraph. They all count, though, and that's exactly what Paragraph Planet, an online flash writing magazine, wants.

I came across the site months ago and have been meaning to send them something ever since. Fellow writer Sharon Maria Bidwell had some success with them in April and that spurred me on. I scribbled two or three different 'paragraphs' (they all have to be exactly 75 words long), chose the best, and submitted it.

Yesterday I had the terrific news that Rollercoaster Ride has been accepted, to appear on 7th July. As usual I'll post a reminder nearer the time so you can read this tiny snippet about a child at a fairground.

Writing to such a tight target is surprisingly difficult, even with previous experience of flash fiction. I don't have too many problems getting a story down to less than a hundred words, say, or even less than fifty. But hitting a specific number of words (which has to include the title) is bloomin' hard work. I found I'd written a very nice story in 74 words, for instance, so I fiddled around and then found it was 76. ::headdesk:: Still, I got there in the end and enjoyed the challenge so much I've now written several more. Watch this space to see if Paragraph Planet take any more in the months to come.

4 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

Good stuff. Check out these for 50 word stories. http://blink-ink.com/content/archives/tag/paul-d-brazill/

Merry said...

Congratulations on the acceptance! I know what you mean re: word counts and getting something to a precise number. I had trouble with the 50 word shorts for (I think it was) the Binnacle and had to re-work things over and over again to get the exact count.

How are you?

Fiona Glass said...

Thanks Paul, I'll definitely check those out.

Fiona Glass said...

Hi Merry, I'm fine! Are you still drowning under vast piles of work?