Monday, March 27, 2006

Priest holes

No not those sort of holes - get your minds out of the gutter!! These are the old hiding places, mostly dating from the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, that riddle many old houses in England. They were used by priests to hide when Catholicism was banned and many of them are really ingenious. I'd already decided to put a couple of them in 'Got Ghosts?' so it was useful to have a trip out to Baddesley Clinton, a medieval manor house in Warwickshire, yesterday afternoon. The house boasts at least two priest holes, one hidden in a chimney breast, the other in a medieval loo shaft! I'm hoping it's given me some inspiration as the story could do with a kick-start again.

2 comments:

Faith Bicknell said...

I could use a few of those in my house. We have an old farmhouse built in the 1850s and there's very little storage space.

Fiona Glass said...

Hi Faith! ROFL... we used to live in a modern estate house with absolutely NO storage so I know what you mean. Now we're in a Victorian place with a cellar and attics and odd little under-stairs cupboards which is much better. :)