Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Drowning in admin

I'm really struggling at the moment to find time to write. I realised the other day that I'm trying to combine writing, editing Forbidden Fruit, promoting my books and critiquing for other writers. Any one of those could be a full time job and I'm trying to do all four. I think something has to give.

One of the worst offenders is forums and mailing lists run by the publishers. On the face of it, it's a very good idea because it unites writers and their readers in one place and gives excellent opportunities for marketing. Unfortunately, some publishers have several lists and forums *each*, and when you multiply that by several publishers, the end result is that I spend all my time downloading and reading messages. And in some cases, membership of the groups is mandatory.

I bailed out of several private groups just after Christmas but I'm still struggling to keep my head above water and think I'm going to have to boot out several more. One of the first things to go will be the critiquing, which is a great shame as it's something I always enjoyed in the past. But if it's a straight choice between that and writing, the writing has to win.

No comments: