Friday, August 19, 2005

Betas

I was chatting earlier to my friend Liz about the benefits of having a good beta or writing partner to help with your work. She's been lucky enough to find one recently and was waxing lyrical *grin* about how how much it's helped her, both in terms of physical stuff like technique and for sheer motivation. I lost my writing partner last year (cites irreconcilable differences LOL) and it made me realise how much I miss that close relationship. Having someone on the same wavelength, who writes similar stories in a similar style, and who understands your writing and what you're trying to say possibly better than you do, is a wonderful thing and something I found enormously helpful in the past. I would love to find a replacement but you can't just prod the first writer you come across and say 'fancy a beta darling?' - it needs to be someone you get on well enough with to survive the arguments *grin* and someone who hasn't already got a beta of their own. Here's hoping there's another lost writing soul out there somewhere!

No comments: